The movement to establish a Children's Aid Society in Thunder Bay began in 1908 when the cities of Port Arthur and Fort William (later amalgamated in 1970 to form Thunder Bay) formed the Children's Aid Society of the Electoral District of Thunder Bay. In 1916, the Society split into two separate Children's Aid Societies - one in Port Arthur and one in Fort William. The two societies later reunited in 1967 to form the Children's Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay.
The Children's Aid Society formally opened its first children's shelter in 1922. The shelter remained in operation until 1957 when it relocated to a larger building then becoming known as the Receiving Home. The Receiving Home was closed in 1972.
Until 1939, the Children's Aid Society in Thunder Bay had only one employee - the Matron of the Shelter. Today, the Children's Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay employs in excess of a 100 full time staff and has a complement of over 160 foster homes providing care to children in our community.
In 1995, Dilico Ojibway Child and Family Services became a mandated child welfare agency providing child welfare services to many first nations children throughout the District of Thunder Bay.
Caring for children...a community responsibility.