Child Abuse Prevention Month
Step Up is an annual campaign held by Dilico Anishinabek Family Care and the Children’s Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay in support of national Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Celebrate local children and youth by nominating a Step Up Hero (see below)
Children can accomplish so much when a community steps up to support them. Let the children and youth in your life know they matter. We are all responsible for the safety, happiness and health of children and youth.
Don't forget to go Purple for Prevention on October 24th
2018 Step Up Teachers Package
The following video was posted onthe TBNewsWatch https://youtu.be/KbGFxfRxJEM
STEP UP HERO AWARDS
Great things begin with small actions. There are so many amazing children and youth in our communities that are stepping up and making a difference. Throughout the month of October acknowledge and celebrate children and youth – the little heroes in your lives. The Step Up Hero Awards will be held on November 16th, 2018 in Thunder Bay with special guest, Wab Kinew. . (see below with Go Purple information)
Do you know a child or youth that steps up? Tell us their story. Click here to nominate them today.
• Nominees must be 3-18 years of age and live in the District of Thunder Bay.
• We are looking for youth who Step Up by:
- Volunteering their time to help others
- Acting as good friend, leader or role model in their community
- Sharing and/or learning about Indigenous culture
- Showing kindness
- Demonstrating excellence in the Arts, Academics, or Athletics
- Do work which benefits and helps to create positive change within their Community
For full rules and regulations click here
Other ways you can Step Up to Support Child Abuse Prevention Month:
GO PURPLE FOR PREVENTION DAY 2018
In support of Child Abuse Prevention Month, we are inviting local businesses, organizations, families & individuals to participate in Go Purple for Prevention Day on October 24th, 2018.
On Go Purple for Prevention Day participants are asked to wear purple to support the 2018 Step Up campaign. Purple is the signature colour of child?abuse prevention.
By wearing purple, your business/company/organization and employees can show their willingness to Step Up and show children that they matter.
Participating is easy:
- Sign up for Go Purple for Prevention Day by submitting your organization, business or company name to: firedogpr%23com|stepup. We will send you some information on how you can participate and about the campaign.
- WEAR PURPLE on October 24th.
- Take photos or video of your employees wearing purple and share them on Facebook and Instagram with #StepUpTBay. Photos can also be submitted to firedogpr%23com|stepup
Participants are also encouraged to show us new ways to Step Up. Have a bake sale, plan a child-friendly activity, or raise funds in a creative way and make a donation to the Mazinaajim Children’s Foundation/Children’s Services Foundation, or have a staff contest to raise awareness.
By stepping up, adults can help a child or give a family in crisis the help they need. Child abuse includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse and/or neglect. If you have concerns about a child, please call:
Dilico Anishinabek Family Care: 1-855-623-8511 : Emergency Services 24 hours a day (Services for Indigenous families and children)
Children’s Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay: 1-800- 465-3905 or (807) 343-6100
If you have any questions about the Step Up campaign please contact: firedogpr%23com|stepup or call: Blythe Haynen, Community Engagement Manager, Dilico Anishinabek Family Care- (807) 626-7950
If you are a TEACHER, please contact us for your Step Up Teacher’s Package that provides activities for students.