The Childrens Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay

Caring for Children... a Community Responsibility

The Facts

Home > Programs & Services > Outreach Program > The Facts

Facts on Street Youths

  • On any given night, approximately 33,000 Canadians are homeless, of which about 8,333 to 11,000 are youth.
  • In Toronto, a good estimate suggests there are at least 10,000 different youth who are homeless at one point, in any given year – and anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 on a given night. 60% of these youth stay in and out of youth shelters, 25% stay with “friends”, and 15% live in squats, parks, alleys, or doorways.
  • In the past 25 years there has been a 450% increase in youth shelter beds.
  • 64% of homeless youths in Canada are male.
  • 60% of homeless youth have grade 11 or less education.
  • In 2000, the number of missing children in Canada was 50,633 youth runaways. In 2003 it increased to 53,459. This figure represents a 24% increase in a decade. Numbers appear to have decreased in 2007 to 46,189 reported runaways.
  • Approximately 70% of street youth report they have experienced some form of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse. Many of the remaining 30% report ongoing neglect issues.
  • 47% of street youths in Canada have been physically assaulted by a family member and 15% report sexual assault by a family member.
  • 47% of street youth report being physically attacked in 2002, 52% report being threatened with an attack, and 42% had been sexually assaulted or threatened with an assault.
  • In Toronto, based on a 1999 study, 36% of street youth earned money by panhandling, 19% from break and enters/selling drugs, 18% receive social assistance, 17% have paid employment, and 10% do sex trade work (although 31% admit to working in a sex trade at least once in their life).
  • In Ottawa, based on a 2006 study, 32% of females and 17% of males are involved in sex trade for food, shelter, drugs, or money.
  • It costs, on average, $95,826 to imprison a young person for a year.
  • In 2004,the chances of being a victim of crime was highest among people aged    15-24.
  • The mortality rate of street youth is 13 times higher than for other youth.
  • In a recent Quebec study, the homeless youth mortality rate was 11 times higher than the general population of youth between the ages of 14 and 25.
  • A study conducted in 1997-98 by the Hospital of Sick Children found that female street youth are more likely to get pregnant at a rate 2-3 times higher than the general population of youth. Miscarriages were 2-4 times higher among street youth.
  • 59% of female street youth have reported at least 1 pregnancy and the average age of the first pregnancy was 16.7 years.
  • HIV was found in 1.85% of homeless Montreal youth.
  • In 2003, the prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus among street youth was 4.5%.
  • 80% of street youth reported smoking ½ pack of cigarettes daily.
  • In a 2003 Health Canada Report, 95% of street youth report use of at least one drug in their life, and 80.6% report consuming alcohol in the 3 months prior to being surveyed. Drug use is 7 times higher than the general population.
  • 41% of Toronto street youths reported injecting drugs at some point in their life, as opposed to 20% among Canadian street youth. Of those users, 31% report no use of clean injection equipment.
  • The Thunder Bay District Health Unit states that 36.9% of youth in Northwestern Ontario are using marijuana and prescription drugs regularly.
  • In a 2001 Thunder Bay study, “Youth Homelessness in Thunder Bay, A Snapshot”, 467 youth between the ages of 10 and 24 were identified as homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
  • Outreach Program stats for 2007 include approximately 175 clients seen, 569 community contacts made (phone and direct), and 2253 direct contacts with clients (stats also include student contacts).

Important!

What's New

Saves MATTer
Dilico Anishinabek Family Care and Children’s Aid Society of ...

60's Scoop information
Sixties's Scoop Poster Sixties Scoop Settlement Notice Records Reconciliation ...

Child Abuse Prevention Month
Child Abuse Prevention Month Step Up is an annual campaign held by ...

Mandate Expanding
Expansion of the Child Welfare Mandate to Include 16 and 17 Year ...

Crown Ward Class Action Notice
Class Action on Behalf of Crown Wards Were you a Crown ward at any ...

JPSA
Children and youth involved in the child welfare system encounter ...

Affiliations


  Member of Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies